An eight-year-old migrant girl died in US custody in Texas on Wednesday, a tragedy that tempered news of a sharp drop in attempted illegal crossings of the southern US border.
The girl died in Harlingen, a Texas border city near the Gulf of Mexico.
“The child and her family were in custody at the Harlingen Station where she experienced a medical emergency,” US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said in a statement.
“Emergency Medical Services were called to the station and transported her to the local hospital where she was pronounced dead,” the statement said, adding that an investigation was opened into the death.
Harry, Meghan in ‘near catastrophic’ paparazzi car chase
A 17-year-old Honduran boy who arrived in the US without a parent or guardian died last week in government custody in Safety Harbor, Florida.
Separately, new policies that came into effect last week to deal with undocumented migrants appear to have slashed US entries.
The Border Patrol counted less than 4,000 “encounters” — apprehensions and expulsions — with people crossing without permission each of the past two days, said Blas Nunez-Neto, assistant secretary of the Department of Homeland Security.
That compared with 10,100 per day in the week before the lifting of Title 42, the Covid-19 health emergency rule used for three years to swiftly expel a wide array of migrants, he told reporters.
Replacing Title 42 was a policy package anchored on immigration law Title 8, which provides for strict penalties for those crossing who do not qualify, including five-year bans on US entry and possible criminal charges.
That was combined with an expansion of formal avenues to migrate to the United States, focused especially on refugees and asylum applicants.
The aim was to stem pressure at the border, where more than 200,000 migrant encounters occurred in most months over the last year, creating a political crisis for President Joe Biden.
-Crossing numbers drop-
Nunez-Neto said last week’s policy change appeared to be achieving the goal of reducing illegal immigration.
The number of Mexicans encountered fell from 1,900 daily to 1,000 and Colombians from 1,400 to 510 a day.
The number of Venezuelan migrants had also plunged to 50 per day, after hitting 2,400 before the policy change.
The 4,000 a day was also lower than the average of 7,000 encounters a day in April.
In addition, there were signs that the northward movement of migrants from South and Central America to the Mexico-US frontier has slowed, said Nunez-Neto.
“We are also seeing some early promising signs that entries into the Darien jungle between Colombia and Panama have been declining in recent days,” he said, referring to a particularly treacherous section of the main route for migrants heading north.
Instead, “tens of thousands” have been applying for immigration interviews with US Customs and Border Protection, and over 5,000 have been “processed” in their appointments since May 12, Nunez-Neto said.
And many Haitians, Venezuelans and Cubans are taking advantage of a special program to migrate as refugees that requires them to apply from abroad, he added.
“I want to stress once again that it is still too soon to draw any firm conclusions here about where these trends will go in the coming days and weeks,” said Nunez-Neto.
“We continue to monitor the situation on our border and in Mexico and along the transit routes in real-time,” he said
BREAKING: Ilebaye Wins BBNaija All Stars Edition
Following a suspense-filled evening, the grand finale of BBNaija All Stars commenced at 7 pm tonight.
Housemates were gradually eliminated from the competition, with Cross, Pere, and Adekunle being the first to exit. This led to an extraordinary situation where the top three remaining contestants were all female, marking a historic milestone within the Big Brother franchise.
The tension continued, and eventually, Ceec was evicted, leaving Mercy and Ilebaye as the final two housemates competing for the price money of N120 Million
In the end, it came down to Mercy and Ilebaye as the top two finalists, with Baye who emerged victorious as the winner of the BBNaija All Stars Edition
More to follow….
BREAKING: Jubilation across Nigeria as BUA Reduces Price Of Cement To N3,500
One of the major companies in Nigeria, BUA Group , has announced a reduction of ex-factory cement price to N3,500 per bag.
The company, which made this known in a statement on Sunday, said the reduction will take effect from 2 October, 2023.
The statement titled : ‘BUA Cement reduces ex-factory cement prices to N3,500/bag effective October 2, 2023’, reads in full :
“We refer to our previous pronouncements regarding our intent to reduce cement prices upon the completion of our new lines at the end of the year, in order to spur development in the building materials and infrastructure sectors.
As per the commitment made to reduce prices and following a periodic review of our operations for efficiency, the management of BUA Cement Plc wishes to announce and inform our esteemed customers, stakeholders, and the public that effective October 2, 2023, we have decided to bring the price reduction forward. As a result, BUA Cement would now be sold at an ex-factory* price of 3,500 Naira per bag so that Nigerians can begin to enjoy the benefits of the price reduction before the completion of our plants.
Upon completion of the ongoing construction of our new plants, which would increase our production volumes to 17million metric tonnes per annum, BUA Cement PLC intends to review these prices further in line with our earlier pronouncements by the first quarter of 2024.
NOTE: all pending, undelivered orders which had been paid for at the old prices will be reviewed downwards to N3500/bag in line with the new pricing from October 2, 2023. Our licensed dealers are also enjoined to ensure that end-users benefit from this reduction in ex-factory prices as we will monitor field sales to ensure compliance
Martinez makes history after coming off bench to score four goals in Serie A
Lautaro Martinez scored four goals for Inter Milan against Salernitana- as a second half substitute.
The Argentine came onto the field in the 55th minute of the game with the scores level at 0-0. The World Cup winner scored four in the next 30 minutes, as Inter eventually ran out 4-0 winners.
Martinez subsequently became the first-ever player in the Serie A to score four goals in a game as a substitute.
Inter have bounced back from their 2-1 defeat against Sassuolo on Thursday, October 27 which saw them drop points for the first time this season. Thanks to Lautaro, Inter will maintain their spot as Serie A leaders.
Inter will now play host to Benfica in the second matchday of the Champions League group stage on Tuesday, October 3.
General6 days ago
FG Declares Wednesday Public Holiday
Education4 weeks ago
Comprehensive List of Courses at University of Ilesa
Economy2 weeks ago
Abuja MOU: Oyetola rounds off council of ministers’ meeting in Abidjan
General2 weeks ago
Governor Adeleke Declares Curfew in Orolu & Irepodun LGs
General3 weeks ago
Atiku to Saraki: Account for 2023 campaign funds”
Entertainment1 week ago
‘This Is Pure Evil’ – Mary Njoku frown at Those requesting DNA Test From Mohbad’s Wife
General2 weeks ago
Oluwo tackles Obasanjo for ordering Oyo monarchs to stand
General1 week ago
Mohbad: I Disguised To Candlelight, Shameful Things People Did – FPRO