Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino has made it clear he did not sanction the signing of Cole Palmer from Manchester City.
The Argentine said that the idea to sign the youngster came from the club’s sporting directors, Laurence Stewart and Paul Winstanley.
The 21-year-old England youth team star was unveiled as a Blues player on Friday.
Palmer left the Premier League champions for an initial fee of £40 million.
Despite not being his idea, Pochettino hailed the English player, saying he fits into his project.
Addressing his pre-match press conference ahead of the Blues’ clash against Nottingham Forest, Pochettino said: “I think the sporting director and the owner, of course, but the sporting director, it was his idea to add him to the squad. I think he’s fit for the project. Talented player, of course.”
Fulham 0-2 Chelsea: Mudryk, Broja strike to earn Blues their second league win of the season
Chelsea bagged two first-half goals to seal a crucial win over West London rivals Fulham at Craven Cottage and move up to 11th on the Premier League table.
The Blues flew out of the blocks as they debuted their new Infinite Athlete kit and created the first chance of the match after only 80 seconds, but Armando Broja could not capitalise.
Chelsea looked bright with Enzo Fernandez conducting affairs, and they picked the Cottagers apart.
Mykhailo Mudryk was looking electric and dangerous. The Ukrainian winger opened the scoring on 18 as he controlled a pass from Levi Colwill before slotting the ball beyond Bernd Leno.
It was Mudryk’s first Premier League goal following his £88 million move from Shakhtar Donetsk in January. And within seconds, Chelsea had their second.
Tim Ream had a moment to forget as he gave the ball away to Cole Palmer. The young English playmaker then slipped Broja in, but Ream hit the ball off the Albanian striker as the ball trickled past Leno.
Fulham tried to find gaps behind Marc Cucurella and Axel Disasi on the right side of Chelsea’s defence, but it was not working. Chelsea controlled the game and held their two-goal going into the break.
In the second 45, Fulham came out with more attacking poise, and it helped that Mudryk went off with a knock, giving Fulham the impetus to come forward, but Chelsea’s defence stood resolute.
Vinicius and Alex Iwobi came on for Fulham and helped their side find spaces beyond Chelsea’s backline, but the Boys in Blue defended well and showed they were still dangerous.
Ian Maatsen, on for Mudryk, hit the post, and Leno had to be quick to smother Fernandez’s rebound effort. Fulham forced Chelsea to work for their lead, but Mauricio Pochettino’s men looked up to it.
Substitute Tom Cairney created a lovely chance for Sasa Lukic. However, Robert Sanchez stuck out a brilliant leg to save the effort and keep his side in it.
On 83, Willian tried an effort from outside the box, but it did not cause any problems for Sanchez as Chelsea ran out 2-0 victors
Man Utd winger Anthony in contention for Galatasaray UEFA champions league clash
Erik ten Hag has confirmed that Antony could feature for Manchester United against Galatasaray after rejoining his ranks at Old Trafford.
The Brazil international forward was granted indefinite leave by the Red Devils following a series of alarming allegations made against him by former girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin.
Antony has been back in his homeland since then, allowing him to meet with police forces in Sao Paulo.
He returned to England last week and has held five hours of talks with Greater Manchester Police.
The 23-year-old winger maintains his innocence – having also faced accusations from two other women.
United have allowed him to focus on off-field matters of late, but revealed ahead of a Premier League meeting with Crystal Palace that Antony had been given a green light to return to training and was once again available for selection.
He has only taken in one session since then, suggesting that he will be short on match fitness, but Ten Hag says the South American is in his thoughts ahead of the Champions League group stage meeting with Galatasaray on Tuesday.
The Dutch coach has said: “Antony will be in consideration but yesterday was his first time back in team training. We have a final training, then we’ll make a decision.”
Ten Hag added when delivering an update on Lisandro Martinez – with the World Cup-winning Argentine defender still struggling with a long-standing foot injury: “I can confirm, yeah. Licha Martinez will undergo surgery and the team news is Antony can probably return.”
Antony’s last appearance for United came in the club’s 3-1 defeat at Arsenal on September 3.
He was removed from the Brazil squad for the last round of international fixtures and has not registered a goal for club or country since April 16.
‘Rigged game!’ – Diogo Jota’s wife Rute Cardoso slams ‘clown’ officials
Diogo Jota’s wife, Rute Cardoso, claims Liverpool’s controversial clash with Tottenham was “rigged” by the “clown” officials taking charge.
The Reds suffered a dramatic 2-1 defeat in north London that threw up all kinds of talking points. Luis Diaz saw a goal wrongly ruled out for offside, leading to PGMOL issuing an apology for a “significant human error” and Jurgen Klopp’s side calling for an investigation into how these mistakes keep on happening.
Liverpool also had Jota and Curtis Jones sent off, with questions being asked of both red card decisions. Jones was dismissed for a supposedly reckless challenge, which saw his boot slide over the top of the ball, while Jota made little contact with Destiny Udogie when collecting two yellows in the space of 22 seconds.
Cardoso has now hit out at referee Simon Hooper, his team of officials and those in the VAR booth. In one post on Instagram, which includes the statement from PGMOL, she has added the text “rigged game” with a line through it. She has also stuck a giant clown emoji onto an image of her husband collecting the first of his bookings for clipping the heels of Udogie.
Liverpool face the threat of a fine from the Football Association for collecting more than five yellow cards in one Premier League fixture, while Alexis Mac Allister is at risk of sanction after airing his own complaints on social media – with the World Cup-winning Argentine suggesting that Spurs benefited from having “12 players”.
General1 week ago
FG Declares Wednesday Public Holiday
Education4 weeks ago
Comprehensive List of Courses at University of Ilesa
Economy3 weeks ago
Abuja MOU: Oyetola rounds off council of ministers’ meeting in Abidjan
General2 weeks ago
Governor Adeleke Declares Curfew in Orolu & Irepodun LGs
General4 weeks ago
Atiku to Saraki: Account for 2023 campaign funds”
Entertainment1 week ago
‘This Is Pure Evil’ – Mary Njoku frown at Those requesting DNA Test From Mohbad’s Wife
General2 weeks ago
President Tinubu Departs New York After Attending UN General Assembly Meeting
General2 weeks ago
Oluwo tackles Obasanjo for ordering Oyo monarchs to stand