The return of the Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, to the country and his stay at his residence in Ibadan, Oyo State, has continued to generate reactions from the stakeholders in the state.
Akeredolu returned to the country last Thursday from a medical vacation, and has since been staying at his residence in Ibadan, a development that has left the state chapters of the ruling All Progressives Congress and the main opposition party, Peoples Democratic Party, in a war of words.
The governor, who shortly after returning from medical vacation, signed into law, the bill for the creation of local council development areas in the state, expressed gratitude to residents for showing him love during the trying period.
The PDP said the failure of the governor to return to the state was an indication that he was not fit to return to the country from the medical leave but hurriedly rushed down for fear of impeachment.
But the APC said the PDP’s statement showed the opposition wanted the governor dead, urging the opposition to engage in constructive criticism rather than chasing shadow.
In a statement by the Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Mrs Kennedy Peretei, on Friday, the opposition party said, “The Governor of Ondo State, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu, SAN, is still nowhere to be found, eight days since he claimed he had resumed duties as Governor after his three months medical leave in Germany.”
“Last week, we challenged the rationale for Akeredolu calling for a meeting in his Ibadan residence, instead of Ondo State where he was elected to govern. Up till this moment, the governor has not been seen anywhere near Ondo State.
“Akeredolu is beginning to fuel media speculations that, against the advice of his doctors, he was hurriedly brought into Nigeria to foil an impeachment process. He also ordered an upgrade of his Ibadan residence to include a replica of the executive council chambers, from where he intends to hold exco meetings.
Does Akeredolu want to make Ibadan the capital of Ondo State? What is the hurry to resume all about, if he cannot come to Ondo State?
“Would it not have made more sense if he was still attending to his health abroad? Why did he say he had resumed when indeed he had not? Our party wishes to advise Akeredolu to come to Ondo State to complete his tenure.”
However, the APC in a reaction by its Publicity Secretary, Alex Kalejaiye, said the governor had been attending to state matters the way he ought to.
It said, “It is unbelievable that the PDP is having a grouse with the location of our Governor, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu. This is a clear indication that the opposition party never wanted Arakunrin back alive.
“The crux of the matter is that Mr Governor has been attending to state matters, since his arrival the way he ought to, irrespective of location. This is an indisputable reality. I sympathise with the PDP; it is a crisis-ridden political party that is bereft of ideas, and no longer coherent and constructive.” I didn’t resign my position, says dep gov
Meanwhile, the Ondo State Deputy Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, on Friday denied signing a pre-resignation letter as being rumoured in some quarters.
Aiyedatiwa said he knew nothing about the purported letter of resignation which was reportedly being circulated on social media in the recent time.
He declared that he did not resign from his position as the number two man in the state and had no intention of doing so.
The media aides of the embattled deputy governor had been relieved of their positions earlier in the week, according to a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Richard Olatunde.
However, in a statement Aiyedatiwa issued on Friday, he said, “I took an oath the day I was sworn in along with Mr Governor on February 24, 2021, to protect the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on a four-year mandate which terminates on February 23, 2025, remain loyal to my principal and stand by the oath taken with the Bible to run the full cycle of the four-year tenure with Mr Governor
#SaferKwara: Governor AbdulRazaq Meets Army Chief
Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq receives Commander 22 Armoured Brigade Ilorin Brigade General Adebayo Abdulrahman Babalola at Government House, Ilorin.
During the visit, the Governor explored strategies for strengthening security in the state with the Army chief.
Military personnel have made several efforts to dislodge security threats from the state.
The Army chief reiterated that the operations will be sustained to keep the state safer for peaceful and law-abiding residents.
Football is coming home! UK & Republic of Ireland set to host Euro 2028 as Turkey withdraw bid
The United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland look set to host Euro 2028 after the Turkish FA withdrew its bid to host the tournament.
The Turkish FA has officially withdrawn its bid to host Euro 2028 in order to focus on its plan to co-host the tournament with Italy in 2032. UEFA has now approved the joint proposal, which was first announced in July.
Turkey’s withdrawal from the 2028 bidding process means that the UK and Republic of Ireland’s bid will now run unopposed. Wembley Stadium hosted the semi-finals and final of the delayed 2020 European Championship, but the UK has not hosted an entire major tournament since 1996.
Both bids will require official approval at a meeting of UEFA’s executive committee on Tuesday. An official statement from UEFA read: “The presentations at that meeting will be an important part of the process which will take due consideration of the content of the bid submissions before reaching a decision.”
If approved, then Euro 2028 will be hosted in the UK and Ireland. Among the ten proposed stadiums are Wembley Stadium, Hampden Park and the Aviva Stadium in Dublin, as well as the currently unbuilt Bramley Moore Dock stadium in Liverpool and Casement Park in Belfast
Messi makes decision on when he will leave Inter Miami
Lionel Messi has reportedly decided where he will end his playing career, but it won’t be in Miami or Barcelona.
Messi’s Inter Miami contract is set to expire in 2025, at which point – according to El Nacional – he will look to return to boyhood club Newell’s Old Boys in his native Argentina. There is an option for the World Cup winner to extend his deal with Miami for an extra year, but the report states that he wants to retire in his homeland.
Messi left Barcelona in 2021 after more than two decades at the club, having joined the Spanish giants from Newell’s as a 13-year-old. He snubbed a return to Camp Nou when he left Paris Saint-Germain over the summer, and it now looks like a fairy tale return to Barca is never going to happen.
Messi scored 10 goals in his first seven games for David Beckham’s Miami franchise, but he has spent the past month injured. He will play a farewell match at Barcelona at some point, even if he does not return to play for the club
General1 week ago
FG Declares Wednesday Public Holiday
Education4 weeks ago
Comprehensive List of Courses at University of Ilesa
Economy3 weeks ago
Abuja MOU: Oyetola rounds off council of ministers’ meeting in Abidjan
General2 weeks ago
Governor Adeleke Declares Curfew in Orolu & Irepodun LGs
General4 weeks ago
Atiku to Saraki: Account for 2023 campaign funds”
General2 weeks ago
President Tinubu Departs New York After Attending UN General Assembly Meeting
Entertainment2 weeks ago
‘This Is Pure Evil’ – Mary Njoku frown at Those requesting DNA Test From Mohbad’s Wife
General3 weeks ago
Oluwo tackles Obasanjo for ordering Oyo monarchs to stand