President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has brokered an agreement between Governor Siminalayi Fubara and the 27 Rivers lawmakers who defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC)..
This follows weeks of political tension in the state due to a face-off between the governor and his predecessor, who is the current minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The meeting, which was held at the instance of the president, saw both factions make concessions. Former governor Peter Odili was among the attendees at the closed-door meeting.
The following are the resolutions agreed:
After a meeting with all the stakeholders of Rivers State with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu
The resolution are as follows
1. ALL matters instituted in the courts by the Governor of Rivers State, Sir Fubara, and his team, in respect of the political crisis in Rivers State, shall be withdrawn IMMEDIATELY
2. ALL impeachment proceedings initiated against the Governor of Rivers State by the Rivers State House of Assembly should be dropped immediately
3. The leadership of the Rivers State House of Assembly as led by the Rt. Hon. Martin Amaewhule shall be recognized alongside the 27 members who resigned from the PDP
4. The remunerations and benefits of ALL members of the Rivers State House of Assembly and their staff must be reinstated immediately and the Governor of Rivers State shall henceforth not interfere with the full funding of the Rivers State House of Assembly
5. The Rivers State House of Assembly shall choose where they want to sit and conduct their legislative business without interference and/or hindrance from the Executive arm of government
6. The Governor of Rivers State, Sir Fubara, shall re-present the state budget to a properly constituted Rivers State House of Assembly
7. The names of ALL commissioners in the Rivers State Executive Council who resigned their appointments because of the political crisis in the state should be resubmitted to the House of Assembly for approval
8. There should NOT be a caretaker committee for the local governments in Rivers State. The dissolution of the Local Government administration is null and void and shall not be recognized