Connect with us


Preacher allegedly killed in Ogun motor park, buried by roadside



Sharing buttons

Oluwatosin Onadipe, a graduate of Computer Science at the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, was reported to have died after an official of a motor park allegedly hit him with an iron rod in Ago, Odogbolu Local Government Area of the state for preaching.

The late Onadipe’s remains was reported to have been buried by the roadside by officials of the Odogbolu Local Government Area after his body was dumped by police officers.

According to his father, Raymond Onadipe, said he left home on December 17 to attend a programme at the Redemption Camp, but they could not reach him anymore after he had spoken with his brother on the phone.

His father said that after several efforts to reach him didn’t yield, they reported at the Ago Police Station that he was missing. However, after some days, his phone was reachable, and the person who picked it up said he saw it on the roadside.

He added: “On Friday, December 22, the brother tried the line again and it rang. The person who picked up the call told us they found the phone on the road and that the owner could come and pick it up at Ode-Remo. I was then suspicious that Ode-Remo and Ago were distant from each other and that his phone got to Ode-Remo.

“The next morning, by 6 am, I went to Ode-Remo, and I reported at the police station where I was assigned with police officers to accompany me to get the phone. When I got to the point of collection, the person introduced himself as the Seriki Hausa of the community. The Seriki told us that two of his boys who went to Ijebu-Ijesa in Ago-Iwoye were the ones who saw the phone. The police arrested those who found the phone, and we moved to Ago Police Station.

“On Monday (December 25), I was called that those who picked up the phone took the police to where they picked it from, but they discovered that a corpse was buried along the roadside by health workers from Odogbolu Local Government Area, which was said to be his corpse, and that I have two options of either exhuming his body or leaving it where it was buried.

“I met with the local government chairman on the process of exhuming his body from where he was buried and presented his picture. There were disparities between the pictures I presented and the one presented by the LG chair, who said they learned it was a case of a hit-and-run accident. The disparities made me suspect foul play, but I decided to let it go and accept the fate that my son was dead.”

The father noted that an eyewitness told the eldest among his sons that he was allegedly hit by an official of the Ago motor park when he was preaching on the premises.

He said: “When I told the police about the allegation of being hit at the motor park, they said truly they went there, but they did not pick him up, and that he had no injuries on his body. Later, when one of the police teams that went to the park was asked to show the pictures taken at the scene, there was blood all over his body.

“I queried why they left him alone and how it was possible for someone drenched in blood to walk that long distance from the park to where his body was found. I moved the case to the Area Command, where the Area Commander ordered the arrest of officials of the park where my son was allegedly hit on the head and the police team that went to the park. I later learned from the Area Command that the police actually picked him up after he was hit by the said motor park official, but how he got dumped by the main road and his eventual death remained a mystery begging for an answer.

“I am appealing to the police authorities to bring the killers of my son to justice because I have been in sorrow since I learned about his death.”

The state Commissioner of Police, CP Abiodun Alamutu, confirmed the incident to PUNCH, saying the suspects had been arrested and that a preliminary investigation was on to find out the circumstances behind his death.

Alamutu said: “The incident happened. The person alleged to have hit him with an iron rod, and the police officers allegedly involved have been taken into custody.

We are conducting a preliminary investigation into the reported position of the family. We will come up with a statement on the issue in the next few days.”


Sharing buttons
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *