Connect with us

News

Kwara: 120 homeless as fire guts 44 rooms

Published

on

Sharing buttons

A fire outbreak on Monday in Megida Onikahun compound, Edun Isale in Ilorin South Local Government Area of Kwara State, has made up to 120 people homeless, while 44 rooms were destroyed.

It was reported that four aged individuals were withdrawn from the house as thick smoke covered the traditional building.

However, the Kwara State Fire Service said nobody was injured in the incident, which lasted for over one hour before its men stopped the raging fire.

Hassan Adekunle, the Head of Media and Publicity of the state fire service, said the fire incident was caused by a refuse dump in the morning and was attended to around 11:08 am by the state firefighters.

Adekunle said: “The Kwara State Fire Service operatives responded to a fire incident at Megida Onikanhun Compound, Edun Isale, Ilorin South Local Government Area of Kwara State on Monday, January 15, 2024. The firefighters, upon arrival, found the entire compound and Edun Market engulfed in flames due to a late call. To enhance firefighting efforts, part of the fence was dismantled for better access.

“At 11:22 am, an assistant message was sent to the Brigade Headquarters for additional manpower, and the proficient firefighters successfully brought the situation under control within an hour before completely extinguishing the fire.

“Investigation revealed that an unknown person had ignited refuse, initially mistaken for harmless smoke. Unfortunately, it had spread to the nearby compound, lamenting that the incident left over 120 occupants homeless, affecting 44 rooms and a mosque in the 75-room Magaji Onikanhun Compound. Fortunately, there were no casualties.”

He said, “The Federal Fire Service and officers from the Department of Disaster Management of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and State Emergency Management Agency were present at the scene. The NSCDC officers ensured crowd control to prevent potential looting, safeguarding both market goods and the firefighters.”

 

Sharing buttons
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *