Connect with us

News

Generator fumes kill two Kogi Poly students

Published

on

Sharing buttons

No fewer than two students of Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, have reportedly died after inhaling fumes from a power generating set placed close to their window overnight.

SP William Ovye Aya, the state Police Public, confirmed the incident in a telephone interview with Daily Trust on Thursday.

According to Aya, the students are Bilikisu Eleojo, 20, and Ibrahim Haliru.

He said the generator set was placed close to the window of the deceased. 

It was reported that their lifeless bodies were recovered in the room by neighbours in the early hours of Thursday.

He said, “There were three students from Kogi State Polytechnic inside the room. One Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, 20 years old, Ibrahim Haliru, and Mercy Ojochegbe.

“When they slept inside their room, a generating set was switched on close to the window of their apartment.

“They all slept off and inhaled carbon monoxide as a result of the generating set that was switched on.

“Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliru were already dead when neighbours discovered the sad incident in the morning while Mercy Ojochegbe, who was still breathing, was immediately rushed to the hospital.

“The incident was reported at the ‘B’ Division of the Nigeria Police Force Lokoja, and investigation is ongoing.”

He urged residents always to be safety conscious to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes.

 

Sharing buttons
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *